Friday 28 July 2017

Making blocks like crazy!

Following on from cleaning and sorting my Sewing Room I am still dealing with scraps and trying to use up "things" I have found.

I found a Square in a square block given to me by a New Zealand quilting friend as an example of this block. I decided not to add it to my Orphan blocks but to 'Use it up"!

So yesterday I created a block which will be made into a 12.5" QAYG block for Soy Amado.  I also used strings and leftover piano keys and added scraps from my recently sorted stash:

 
I made this larger than the size required because I find that QAYG takes up a bit of the size and the blocks finish a bit smaller.  I can always trim it to size after quilting.
 
I have been amassing a huge amount of part-finished Crumb blocks so I finished off 12 more of those:
 

Finally I had a splurge on String blocks using phone book paper as a base - 24 of them:
 

All made from my strips stash (recently added to !).  I think this photo illustrates beautifully the colours I use most: blue, pink and green!
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Very nice work. Enjoy your visitors

    ReplyDelete
  2. like how you have extended the square in a square and string blocks look really good. Still waiting for a new telephone directory so I can use the old one and have a go at the blocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried QAYG. Have you done it before? What size are your string blocks? And you just reminded me I need to make a bunch of crumb blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of the scraps, especially the crumb blocks and the rainbow of strings. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all look lovely together. I worked with my blues too. I want to get some string blocks done soon.

    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete