I accomplished what I intended to do yesterday and sewed on the binding for my latest baby quilt.
I didn't think of a title for this quilt straight away. Because of the rows of elephants and rows of various creatures in the appliqued circles and Happy Blocks I originally decided to call it
"Animals on Parade" but then didn't think that was quite accurate as there were caterpillars, butterflies, pukeko and hens included. I expect they are technically part of the Animal Kingdom but decided on "Creatures, Great and Small" instead.
Coincidentally I noticed Cathy's post yesterday (Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting) was called "All creatures great and small" but she is doing hexies.
A few photos:
The completed quilt
Two close up of some of the "Creature" fabrics and Perle hand quilting:
And a close up:
As I said yesterday nothing was bought specially for making this quilt, everything was in my stash.
The backing was a piece of fabric I bought at a reasonable price at the Festival of Quilts, maybe last year or perhaps the previous year - the time goes by so quickly! I wasn't sure whether it would be large enough, but it fitted just right, only strips to cut off when I trimmed the quilt. I have been very good and trimmed those strips and added them to the relevant bags of my Strings stash. So they will someday appear in a future quilt!
There is a lot of work in this quilt: the fussy cut creature fabrics, the fusible webbing process, hand quilting and hand blanket stitching around the circles etc. I also spent quite a time designing the quilt and finding suitable fabrics from stash.
I am delighted with the result and now hope the new Mum who will receive it will enjoy using it for her baby and that it will get lots of use. It's a good size, 47" x 39" so it should be useful for a long time.
"Almost there, we're almost there"- the Andy Williams' song from way, way back has been floating round my head all morning.
Almost a month ago I started making a quilt requested by my step granddaughter for one of her friends. I have worked away at this, in between some baby knitting for a friend's baby.
This morning I sewed on the binding and this afternoon I will hand sew the back of the binding at my last Monday afternoon Group Patchwork meeting before we break up for the summer - which is HERE at last. We are having a heatwave at present.
A couple of quick photos of the quilt:
I love the backing, a piece I had in my stash. In fact all the fabrics were from my stash, nothing had to be bought specially.
I have thought of a name for the quilt, to be revealed in my next post when the quilt is finished. Baby was born last Tuesday, a few days early, so I want to finish it fast.