Thursday 29 September 2016

Groovy Movers for Oliver

I have finished another baby quilt!
This time a commission one for Oliver born on 12th September.

My friend wanted the baby's name on the front and as it was a last minute request I made a fairly simple design using some already-made crumb blocks alternately arranged with 4" squares of various coordinating fabrics.

A few weeks ago one of the Quilt shops which emails me had a sale of some children-type fabrics and I bought 3 metres of several of them to use mostly as backing fabrics. One was a lovely robot fabric, depicting some great funky robots with amusing expressions.

Here's the finished quilt:

 
 
 
 
As you can see I used the robot fabric for the borders and the backing.

The quilt measures 32" x 38".
The title "Groovy Movers" was an idea suggested by my Patchwork Group.  One of member's son's removal business is called "Groovy Movers' and the dancing robots reminded them of this name.

A close up of some of the blocks:
 
 
I mostly machine quilted this quilt, hand blanket stitched the appliqued letters and stars and hand quilted around them.
This quilt was really fun to make, quick to put together and I am pleased with the  result.  The robots really make me want to smile.
 

4 comments:

  1. Great quilt. When you get an fun design, stick with it. I'm sure Oliver will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky Oliver!! This is such a fun quilt. I love the way you add names and the stars give it extra sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently mums love having th names on the front of the quilts. They take lots of baby photos with baby lying on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt - and thanks for linking to #scraptastictuesday!

    ReplyDelete