Monday 6 October 2014

3 Beanies

Around this time of year people in my Church are busy putting together Christmas paper-covered shoeboxes for Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child.  This is such a wonderful project - the shoeboxes are filled with all manner of small gifts ( knitted hats, scarves, small soft toy, hair slides, balls, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, sweets, stationery items etc) and then sent overseas to many countries in Eastern Europe, Africa  and so on which are then handed out to children to enjoy at Christmas.  A simple idea, it's amazing how many different gifts you can squeeze into one shoebox. You decide whether the gift is for a boy or girl and the age range it suits best.

There is a table at Church where you can put extra gifts ( other folk take one to add to their box, leaving a small donation which goes towards shipping costs) . Sometimes people don't feel able to fill a whole box so contribute a few items that others can use. Every little helps.  Last year my Church was able to send 250 filled shoeboxes, so we hope for even more this year.  They will be collected at a Dedication Service at the beginning of November so time is rushing by to finish making gifts.

I have been busy making and buying little gifts for my box which is aimed at a 2-4 year old girl.  The Beanie hats are so quick and easy to make I made 4, one to put in my own shoebox and 3 for others to use.


The Beanies
 
 
I didn't do a shoebox last year but did two years ago.  I will post a photo of the finished box - not quite yet as I am making two items to add to it, then it will be done.

I'm also busy with my quilting so lots in production here!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to fill boxes. 250 shoeboxes is quite a feat. Your beanies are so sweet , such beautiful colours and a lovely shape. I can just see them on a little girls head keeping her warm. Have fun with your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shoe box idea. We do them too. I love watching the videos of the children opening their boxes : )

    ReplyDelete