Thursday 29 August 2013

Another UFO finished

Another UFO finished yesterday and I have just photographed it so I can link with Clare of Maybush Studio blog for her Brit Sewing Thursday Linky.

I made this Peter Rabbit quilt top in Feb/March 2010 when I was stuck in the house recovering from the Norovirus and a chest infection.  I felt awful and sad that I couldn't be with my daughter helping with our baby granddaughter who had just been born.

To help ease the frustration I made a few quilt tops, raiding my stash, especially my scraps.
This Peter Rabbit quilt top was one of the tops I made. 
A friend saw it and asked if I could make something similar for her niece's baby.  I did and finished that really quickly and  off it went to America where it is hung on the wall of the baby's room.    Apparently it was deemed too nice to use, it was an heirloom, hence pride of place on the wall!  Still there although that baby is now a three year old  little girl.

But my original top was put away and not finished.

Fast forward to a few months ago when it came to light again whilst I was sorting out my sewing room and it was put into a big plastic box of UFOs.  About three weeks ago it was this quilt top's turn to be finished.  I used a piece of backing fabric I had bought on sale for half price and hand quilted it in the ditch.

Yesterday I added a lovely pink binding, just the colour of strawberry ice cream.  I bought this fabric at the Festival of Quilts and I think it finishes the quilt nicely.

The fabric is called Cherry on Top by Keiki for moda and is made in Japan.  It has a lovely soft feel to it and was an ideal choice for the binding.

So, a drum roll for another finished UFO!

The front:
 
A close up showing the log cabin blocks:

Showing the backing and binding:


I fussy cut Peter Rabbit motifs for the centres of the log cabins and used strips cut from my scraps in pink, blue, yellow and green which were the main colours of the motifs.
The quilt was hand quilted in the ditch using a cream quilting thread and finished at 36" x 36".
 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I am so pleased I finished it. Now added to the pile of finished quilts. Just learned of another baby due at the end of the year so three of my finished quilts will be off to new homes in the next few months.

      Delete
  2. It's good to use up scraps and even better to finish a project. Well done.

    ReplyDelete