Tuesday, 17 October 2017

64 x 1.5" pink squares = ?

64 squares sounds a lot, doesn't?  Not when you are talking about tiny 1.5" squares, especially when one block needs 49 of those 64!

So, Linking up with Angela's So Scrappy RSC blog to show you these 2 blocks:


And 2 more RSC blocks: a Blue 49 patch ( again 1.5" squares) and a Yellow 5" Strippy block:


Monday, 9 October 2017

RSC: Making a start on pink

Not much time for sewing at the moment but I did manage to make 4 Roman Stripe blocks yesterday afternoon. I had a pile of 1.5" pink squares already stacked together in my tin and a set of cream strips cut to the correct size.  So handy to have them ready for the odd few minutes of sewing time.


Linking up to Angela's So Scrappy Blog.

Sunday, 1 October 2017

Ready for mailing

Yesterday I finished the 6 Soy Amado blocks I have been making for Alison at littleislandquilting.blogspot.co.uk

Four made from gifted log cabins which I have enlarged to make the required 12.5" square finished blocks:


And 2 made from orphan blocks:
 

The first block with the appliqued hearts was a block leftover from a quilt I made last year for Siblings Together. I had to add a little extra cream fabric so that the blocks would be large enough and I experimented with some matchstick machine quilting down the centre panel. I echo hand quilted around the hearts with a variegated pink Perle thread.

The blue and cream block began with the centre square block.  I added extra borders, medallion style, hand quilted in the ditch and sewed a deep turquoise button in the centre.

I'll be mailing these to Guernsey tomorrow.
 

Sunday, 24 September 2017

Happy in Pink

I have finished my latest Baby quilt, Happy in Pink. I am really pleased with it. I have been working on this quilt for the past couple of months in between using up lots of scraps to make RSC blocks of various kinds.

Each Happy block is different, but very pink and girly! Lots of fun looking through my scraps for the 5" centres and the various strips to frame them. I found a lovely piece of fabric in my stash which was exactly right for the backing.  Bought several years ago (the selvedge dates it at 2011) that I have auditioned SO many times for a quilt backing and it has never seemed "just right".  It was this time.  There is such a variety of pinks in the quilt, yet more shades of pink adds to the mix and makes a lovely backing.  Binding, again from stash, is a bright pink with tiny white dot which seems to bring all those pinks together.

My friend's daughter is now 25 weeks pregnant so if the baby if a girl, this is the quilt for her.
The quilt measures 37" square and is a mixture of machine and hand quilting.

 
Two close ups of some of the blocks:
 
 


And finally, the lovely backing!

 
 

Sunday, 17 September 2017

Linking to RSC 2017

As I didn't have any orange scraps to make more RSC blocks I'm linking to So scrappy blog with my trial layout for my Twinkler Quilt.  I have been making these blocks for the past six months or so and decided I probably had enough to make a quilt. There are Orange blocks in there!

 
I might change out some to the blue and pink blocks for some other colours as I have 30 Twinklers over.

Creating Soy Amado blocks

I didn't have any orange scraps left for the RSC 2017 Challenge ( totally cleared out last weekend!) So I turned to 4 unfinished Log cabin blocks made on a printed foundation calico gifted to me a couple of years ago. One of our Patchwork Group members was having to clear her home as she was going into care and everyone was given a bag of bits and pieces. I recently used some of the gifted Cute cats squares in my baby quilt called Happy Cats.

Two of the Log cabin blocks had been sewn together using a tiny swirly flowery garland machinery embroidery stitch. The stitches were minute and took me all Friday evening to unpick.  However, yesterday I turned them into Soy Amado blocks by adding two more rounds to each Log cabin. Struggled a bit to find suitable colours.  They aren't a perfect choice but I did use up more scraps.

 
These blocks need to finish at 12.5" exactly so I always make them much larger, around 14" which allows for quilting and trimming to size.
 
I have sandwiched them with batting and backing so they are ready for machine quilting which I'll do at my Quilt Group on Monday afternoon.

Thursday, 14 September 2017

Trial layout

I finally had a little time for sewing this afternoon but decided to see how many blocks I had for a Twinkler Quilt.  I intend to make this a donation quilt for Siblings Together. The minimum size they require is 50" square so I worked out if I set my Twinklers 9 blocks by 9 that should finish at 54" square. I don't really enjoy making larger quilts, quite hard to sandwich together without getting lots of wrinkles so this size is good for me.

So a quick layout looked like this:


Adding this picture to Busy Hands, Finished or Not Friday.

All the blocks need trimming - horrid job so I'll tackle the blocks a few at a time. I probably should have trimmed them as I went along!
I even have 30 blocks left over, useful for swapping if I feel some of the blocks in this current Trial Layout are too similar.

I also counted up how many 5" String blocks I have made - 105.
I have made a note of how many of each colour I need to make to be able to sort them into sets of 4 for each block. Not too many.

It's amazing how these Projects using scrap blocks mount up.