Friday 16 September 2016

Adding to my stash

Over the last couple of weeks I have been hand quilting a Bonnie Hunter 'Wonky Wishes' style quilt. 
I made a very similar one last year which was gifted to my step granddaughter's baby girl Ella. 
It was so well received - many photos of Ella show her lying on the quilt, gazing at the colours and trying to touch the different patches - and I so enjoyed making it that I decided to make another.
I finally finished it the day I discovered the new baby( mentioned in yesterday's post) had been born and was a boy. So this quilt would not be suitable for Tommy and into my Finished baby quilts stash it will go!


 
 
When I first discovered this particular Bonnie Hunter design it was a Free Pattern on her website.
Now, however, it is a pattern you buy through her Shop, just click on the tab at the top of her blog page (quiltville.blog). It currently costs $10 US.
 
I have called the quilt "Girly Stars" but I expect it will get another name when it is finally gifted.
 
 
As you can see there are 4 stars to every block.
Using 12 blocks plus sashing and borders as I have done makes a large quilt, 40" x 54", so it can be used for years: initially as a playmat/for cuddling the baby and then is large enough to be used as a topper on baby's first bed.
However, when I make it again (I already have some Baby Boy stars made up) I think I will just use 9 blocks which will make a Baby Quilt more the size I normally make.
 

The pink sashing and border is a Kona solids fabric, cut at 2.5" and cornerstones are from scraps of  a Riley Blake Owl fabric.  The original large piece has been used in a lot of projects over the last 2 or 3 years and I literally only have scraps left. These cornerstones were already cut to size, stashed in my 2.5" squares box.  In fact, all the squares used in this quilt came from that box - the only fabric cutting required was for the sashing and borders. This is a tip I picked up from Bonnie Hunter's Scrap busting System.
Lots of hand quilting with Perle cotton in this quilt.  My choice as I like hand quilting and I think the double row of stitches around each star make them stand out from the background. Bonnie Hunter machine quilts most of her quilts on a long arm so her finished Wonky Wishes is a little different from my finished look.

Linking up to Mrs Sew & Sow's Scraptastic Tuesday Link Up.

I am now working on another Commission quilt. The baby was born this week so  know I am making another Boy Quilt.  Such fun!
 

3 comments:

  1. Cute quilt Linda! I'm sure it will be much loved when it leaves your house! Thanks for joining up with #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy baby quilting!! I love that scrappy pink one and I know the baby boy quilt your working on will be just as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet scrappy quilt, I love the stars! And it's ended up a very useful size too!

    ReplyDelete