Wednesday 19 March 2014

More Soy Amado blocks

I had great fun making 5 more Soy Amado blocks for Alison ( Little Island Quilting ).

This time I went with Scrappy Stars, combining Crumb Blocks ( Bonnie Hunter style ) with the Wonky Stars of Gwen Marston.  Really please with the result. 
This time I added a bigger border so that after quilting I could trim them to exactly 12.5" square.

I did a little machine quilting and then hand quilted around the star shape with a mauve/purple variegated Perle Cotton.

Here they are:

 
And here is my favourite one:
 
 
Can you see the funky cats peering out of the centre?
 
I love making Crumb Blocks, using really tiny bits of fabric.  I have a whole tin full of them back in the UK, probably 80 or so, and now have a little stash here in New Zealand too.  I couldn't get a 4" square ruler at our nearest NZ Quilt Shop so bought a 4.5" instead which has worked very well.
 
Do take a look at littleislandquilting.blogspot and perhaps make a block or two for Alison's excellent project.
 
I was thrilled to find some of my first blocks in two quilts:  Soy Amado 6 ( littleislandquilting.blogspot/2014/03/soy-amado-no-6 )
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I love your wonderful stars. I went discovering the soy amado project, because the spanish title was not ordinary...I didn't know it. Great project.
    It is always a pleasure to follow your blog, you have so often bright ideas with scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Helena. I do love scraps, bright colours and making something from nothing much at all! I love the quilts Alison is making from the donated blocks, just the sort of quilts I love. And I am sure the children receiving the quilts will love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love these scrap blocks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Fun to make and great to know they will help Alison to make some super quilts

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda, I love those Crumb Star blocks, they're so bright and cheery. The peeking cats are particularly cute!! Thank you for leaving such wonderful comments on my blog!! Normally I would reply to your comments via email but your blogger settings are set to No Reply.

    ReplyDelete